Go beyond traditional risk factors to improve diabetes and CVD outcomes while reducing costs
Cardiovascular disease (CVD) and diabetes are the leading cost drivers in chronic care management. Rising rates of both conditions present a significant challenge to health systems seeking to improve clinical outcomes, reduce costs, and enhance the patient experience.
- Chronic and costly
- Often undetected
CVD and diabetes are chronic conditions that can lead to other costly diseases and adverse events, which can contribute to ER visits, hospitalizations, and readmissions. Together, they incur $567 billion in medical costs annually.1,2
Standard testing can leave cases of diabetes and CVD undetected. In fact, about 1 in 4 people with diabetes are undiagnosed,3 and approximately half of heart attacks and strokes occur in patients with “normal” cholesterol levels.4 Undiagnosed, these conditions can lead to disease progression and adverse events.
- American Diabetes Association. The cost of diabetes. https://www.diabetes.org/resources/statistics/cost-diabetes
- Benjamin EJ, Virani SS, Callaway CW, et al. On behalf of the American Heart Association council on epidemiology and prevention statistics committee and stroke statistics subcommittee. Heart disease and stroke statistics—2018 update: a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2018;137:e67–e492.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Diabetes Statistics Report, 2017.
- Sachdeva A, et al. Lipid levels in patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease: an analysis of 136,905 hospitalizations in Get With The Guidelines. Am Heart J. 2009;157:111-117.
- Ridker PM, Danielson E, Fonseca FA, et al. Rosuvastatin to prevent vascular events in men and women with elevated C-reactive protein. N Engl J Med. 2008;359:2195-2207.
- Sachdeva A, et al. Lipid levels in patients hospitalized with coronary artery disease: An analysis of 136,905 hospitalizations in Get With The Guidelines. Am Heart J. 2009;157:111-117.
The Quest Diagnostics-Cleveland HeartLab Cardiometabolic Center of Excellence is the national leader in addressing cardiometabolic conditions, providing innovative services and resources that are necessary to prevent and manage diabetes and CVD.
Our joint mission is to help prevent disease development, progression, and adverse events by offering a comprehensive solution, including innovative tests, enhanced reports, and patient counseling services that deliver deep insights and help drive action for better outcomes.
- Proprietary advanced biomarker testing for deeper insight across the continuum of care
- Expert consultation for accurate risk stratification
- Patient wellness and health coaching programs for stronger engagement
- Early warnings prompt more effective primary and secondary prevention measures
- Expert interpretation helps to predict and prevent disease, progression, and costly complications
- Patient engagement to promote better adherence, prevention, and wellness
- More timely and targeted interventions support improved health and economic outcomes
- Specialized expertise facilitates effective and efficient clinical pathways
- Expert coaching creates better patient experiences that result in improved satisfaction
- For your patients: improve the quality of care and their experience
- For your clinicians: provide the tools they need to help optimize care and outcomes
- For your system: reduce costs and enhance your reputation for excellence
We are committed to helping you identify cardiovascular risk through advanced testing methods that provide accurate results. With advanced lipid and inflammatory marker testing as well as cardiogenetic, metabolic, and heart failure testing, you are empowered to find hidden risk factors and focus on heart failure prevention.
Advanced lipid testing
Cardiovascular risk assessment has evolved beyond lipid values to include inflammation, lipoprotein subfractions, and apolipoproteins. Quest innovation goes beyond standard lipid panels to provide deeper insights into the residual risk of your patients.
Review the complete Cardio IQ® advanced lipid test list and descriptions
Advanced inflammatory marker testing
Routine lipid screening may not adequately identify risk of adverse events. Evidence suggests that inflammation within the artery wall is a key contributor to residual risk for heart attack and stroke. Cardio IQ® inflammation testing offers additional insight into cardiovascular health that can aid in risk stratification.
Advanced cardiovascular testing: uncover hidden risk for heart attack and stroke
Serious genetic conditions like familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) are often underdiagnosed and undertreated. Quest Diagnostics offers cardiogenetic testing to aid in early diagnosis and earlier treatment for affected patients, as well as family members.
Cardiology genetics testing solutions: testing and services overview
Metabolic syndrome has become increasingly common, leaving more than a third of adults in the United States with metabolic risk.7 A full range of Cardio IQ® testing options help evaluate patients’ metabolic and cardiovascular risk so physicians can take action to help prevent or delay onset of chronic conditions, and prevent adverse events such as stroke.
Know what’s ahead: Assessing diabetes risk
Heart failure testing
With the US population aging, prevalence of heart failure (HF) is projected to grow by 25% and associated direct costs by 215% by 2030.8 New data and guidelines suggest that for patients at risk of developing HF, natriuretic peptide biomarker–based screening followed by team-based care, including guideline-directed medical therapy, may prevent the development of new-onset HF.9 Quest heart failure biomarker testing and related services can support you and your patients across the continuum of care.
Earlier identification of heart failure risk with BNP and NT-proBNP testing
- Moore JX, Chaudhary N, Akinyemiju T. Metabolic syndrome prevalence by race/ethnicity and sex in the United States, National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey, 1988–2012. Prev Chronic Dis. 2017;14:160287.
- Konstam MA. Home monitoring should be the central element in an effective program of heart failure disease management. Circulation. 2012;125:820-7.
- Yancy CW, et al. 2017 ACC/AHA/HFSA focused update of the 2013 ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of heart failure. Circulation. 2017.
Quest and Cleveland HeartLab have harnessed our collective expertise surrounding cardiometabolic health for the ongoing education and support of medical professionals.
Leverage the leadership of Quest Diagnostics experts
Quest offers expertise to help your organization stay at the forefront and elevate cardiometabolic care.
- Your clinicians, both in-house and in your communities, will have access to some of the best minds in the field and the latest scientific and clinical developments to help you position your health system as a preferred provider.
- Expert help interpreting results to better predict disease, progression, and complications, as well as to support more accurate risk stratification.
- Our team of genetic counselors is available to guide medical professionals in appropriate test selection and interpretation of results. We also connect patients with external genetic counselors as needed.
Visit our Clinical Education Center
World-class expertise from Cleveland HeartLab
Cleveland HeartLab is committed to educating healthcare providers and patients on the advancements in identifying cardiovascular risk.
- We organize signature accredited continuing medical education (CME) events and local medical forums which attract hundreds of medical professionals from across the United States.
- Our Clinical Education Team provides access to peer-to-peer support, the latest articles on the clinical utility of inflammatory biomarkers, and individual case management support.
- We developed and provide a CME website for healthcare professionals (chlcme.com).
Tap into the expertise of Cleveland HeartLab
Innovative patient programs are dedicated to helping patients improve and maintain heart health through insight into individual risk for heart attack or stroke.
Improve your heart health
4myheart® is a personalized care program to help improve and maintain heart health. Once enrolled in the program, patients have access to resources on the 4myheart website, as well as a clinical educator who can review test results and connect patients with a variety of wellness programs available from Cleveland Clinic Wellness.
The 4myheart® program includes:
Educational resources and success stories
Lifestyle goal tracking
More than 100
Cleveland HeartLab: Introduce the Know Your Risk program
Cleveland HeartLab has developed an online resource designed for patients (knowyourrisk.com) to engage with their Educational Team to gain helpful information regarding risk factor identification, clinical interpretations, and patient management considerations.
Let our Cardiometabolic Center of Excellence help you better prevent and manage these costly diseases. Contact us for more information.Contact us